Sunday, August 23, 2009

Birthday Cake


The poster that advertised the Yoko art exhibit called"This is not here"


John's car parked in the hotel garage. Notice Mark is sitting at the wheel!



Mark sitting in the back seat of John's car in the middle of fan mail and other items from fans.




The back of Yoko leaving the hotel...





John telling the driver where he is wanting to go.


The left over birthday cake (sort of gross...but the guitar thing is cool).



This article and the photos that are included has been posted at Bagism for a very long time. I thought maybe some of you have never read the story. It is a fun one. So I copied and pasted it here. It was written by Mark Mahal who had his brief but memorable encounter with John Lennon in October 1971 when he was just 14 years old.

I heard that Yoko Ono was having an opening of an art exhibit at the
Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse N.Y. which is about 3 1/2 hours north of my
hometown of Minersville, PA. So being the Beatle-fan that I am, off we went to
check it out and possibly catch a glimpse of John Lennon at the exhibit. Never
could we have realized what would transpire


The weekend started off with quite a 'rush' as we pulled into the parking garage of the Hotel Syracuse and saw John's psychedelic Rolls Royce. At that point the words "he's staying here" blurted out as I nearly jumped out of the window of the car I was in. Keep in mind I was not quite 15 years old and coming from a small town in the hard coal region of Pennsylvania, to me this was a BIG happening. So I got out of our car and dash over to the Rolls to find the doors OPEN and the back filled with
letters and trinkets from fans. I got behind the wheel for a snapshot and
pocketed the parking stub from the Rolls for a souvenir.

We checked in to our room and heard that the entire 7th floor was reserved for the Lennon entourage and OFF LIMITS with security posted at the elevators and exits. An all night vigil in the lobby proved fruitless and as morning comes, off to the
museum we went.



The exhibit "This Is Not Here" was very avant garde and very
cool...simple pieces by other celebrities and the like. One of Yoko's pieces was
a ladder under a circular canvas suspended from the ceiling. You climbed the
ladder only to find the word "yes" in the center of it.


We went back to the hotel and I had a whole new agenda for it was October 9th, John's 31st birthday. I got some information from a bell-hop that was working the 7th floor that Ringo and George were there and that there was going to be a party that evening celebrating John's birthday. All you needed to get in was a ticket or a sticker with Everson Museum on it and you were in (basically for those who helped with the production). I tried all night in vain to get in. Once, I even attempted to
peel a sticker off some photographer's gear in the elevator, but to no avail.
Every trip ended with the same results...security giving me the bums rush.


At 3 a.m. I decided to give it one last shot before giving up (I hadn't
slept since two nights before). I got in the elevator and pushed the button for
the 7th floor. The doors open and, to my amazement, there were NO security! I
peeked out and went down the hall. I could hear a live music jam session with
John, George, Ringo, Allen Ginsberg and others. I was not quite 10 feet away
from getting in when I felt my feet leave the ground...BUSTED! Two LARGE
security personnel unceremoniously put me back in the elevator and stated that
they "don't want to see me anymore." I was totally bummed but got the hint.


I crashed for a few hours and then went back to the lobby where we got some
information that the entourage was leaving for the Indian reservation outside of
Syracuse at some point in the early afternoon. I thought this would be my shot
so a plan was put together by myself and a hippie chick who was about 20 years
old. We had people stationed in the lobby and the garage...they weren't
getting out without us knowing. The moment finally arrived. I was at my post in
the lobby when I saw both elevators go to the 7th floor and stop. Moments later
the elevators descended and one stopped at the mezzanine level and the other
went directly to the garage level. I heard all sorts of commotion coming from
the front of the hotel so I started to run towards the marble stairs only to be
stopped by a roar behind me. Ringo and George come down the stairs into the
lobby followed by John & Yoko. With my little Kodak snapping away, I
followed them. As they got in the limos, I managed to get through the security
for a few quick photos only to be lifted off my feet once again. But this time,
victory was mine.

I went back inside the hotel and the bell-hop, who was my "deep-throat" so to speak, had procured some treasures; a piece of John's birthday cake and the top frets of the plastic guitar that adorned his cake. Twenty-six years later, that cake still sits in my freezer.



When John was assassinated on that fateful night in December 1980, I was attending a 'professional' school at Syracuse. On the night of the universal vigils, I
attended a very touching ceremony at the Quad on campus knowing in my heart my
own 'personal' experience with John in that same city almost 10 years earlier.
Ironically, our commencement ceremony a few months later was held in...none
other than the Everson Museum of Art. Talk about "Instant Karma"...my own
"Magical Mystery Tour"!!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!!! I love this story! What a die hard fan...good (and lucky) for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...I'm Mark Mahal. A pleasant surprise for I just came across this site. It was a wild weekend so many years ago. I have 2 other good pics one of John & Yoko and one of Ringo & Maureen that were never posted at Bagism. I'm glad people appreciate & enjoy my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mark! I am glad that you found us over here. Everyone has enjoyed your story and pictures and I am sure we all would love to see any other photos or stories you would have to share! You have quite a great story to tell! I actually have read it frequently over the years and enjoy it every time!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete