Friday, June 22, 2012

The Zen Ravens Interface

I have a special treat because it is on one of my favorite group of people to write about on this blog, The Apple Scruffs!   In the October 1996 issue of Mojo magazine, there is a large story about the Scruffs, included in that story is a second story, which is actually an interview about the Scruffs with Derek Taylor.   Derek passed away in 1997, and while he did have some interviews in the Anthology, he was supposed to have more to say that was going to be in the Anthology book, which ended up being post-pond due to his death.  And since I could never afford his book, it was great to read his words.   This was written by Cliff Jones.

Derek and Neil discuss thing inside of Apple




Derek Taylor acted as the Beatles’ press officer and advisor throughout the Apple period and still oversees their press.  He was made an honorary Apple Scruff in 1969 and still treasures his membership card

“The Scruffs were almost as extraordinary as The Beatles were.  I used to imagine that if I could only discover why the Scruffs were out there I might understand why I was here on the inside.  With the benefit of hindsight the answer was simple we were all just Beatle fans.  I was a fan of everything I was involved with, from the Byrds to the Beach Boys, but the Scruffs were a different class altogether.  Totally different from fans of, say, the Bay City Rollers or Take That.

“It is like the ravens at the Tower of London.  You couldn’t really imagine them not being there.  Apple was an insane place then.  I saw the Scruffs as just another lovable but crazy part of all that mayhem.  I recall the Sunday Times ran a huge piece on Apple and actually included the Scruffs on a map that depicted them on the steps at Savile Row!”

In many ways, the Scruffs saw more than us insiders because they weren’t’ caught up in details.  Their magazine was hilarious too and often let those of us on the inside have a good laugh about what we thought was the serious shit going down.  They could be quite cruel at times if they didn’t like you, and they were particularly mean about Linda who they depicted as a rather big-chested dominatrix.  John used to disappear in his office when each issue came out and you’d hear him roaring with laughter, especially the stuff about him and Yoko.

“Looking back, the Scruffs were very Zen.  I’d seen groupies with the Byrds but these girls were different.  They didn’t want to sleep with the boys or attempt to get their psychic tentacles into them or invade their space. I found that aspect bewildering but fascinating and the Beatles did too.  After all, they were used to extraordinary scenes of groupiedom in America, where they were literally queuing up for a favour.  George, in particular, always had a problem with the fans, being naturally shy and a bit diffident, but he grew very fond of them because he got to know them and they were there when he was going through some bad times.  That’s why he wrote the Apple Scruffs song.  Paul sometimes had a hard time, especially when they ridiculed Linda, but he was always very polite to them and got to know a few of them.  Ringo was Ringo and always had time for a joke or a quip, but John was sometimes difficult.”

“I used to get pangs of conscience as I sat there in my warm room with a nice hot cup of tea knowing it was freezing cold outside on those steps.  But the strange thing is they were happy out there.  They didn’t want to be on the inside.  Margo eventually became an Apple tea girl.  Gill worked at Abbey Road and Lucy I think became George’s assistant, but the rest were happy out there.  They seemed to know instinctively that there were boundaries to their world and they stuck to them.

What fascinated me most, however, was how they got their information.  Often they knew more about where the boys were they we did.  It was often a process of abstraction and deduction with them  Sherlock Scruffs they were.  They’d use some infallible female intuition to work out whether the boys were recording at Olympic or at Trident, AIR or Abbey Road.  Very clever.

“There’s  a kind of innocence I find in all people I really get along with.  The Scruffs had that naivety too.  That’s why the Beatles liked them.  Despite how it may have appeared at the time, we were all very innocent.  It was all new and there was no blueprint for what happened.  John went to New York, a place that lost its sense of naivety, and look what happened.  John often found it difficult to deal with fans and would poke fun at them, but that was just his way of dealing with the pressure of knowing he was being watched and waited for by people he didn’t know.  He was a very sensitive man underneath and fame can be quite paranoia-inducing.  Fame is not awfully good for people, but in some strange way the Scruffs helped The Beatles by becoming a sort of daily interface between them and the world. 


20 comments:

  1. I now have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.....thank you Derek...we loved you too. :)

    An Apple Scruff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lovely sara, thank you for posting this. there's so much they don't know about apple scruffs but derek certainly did know. even though i am only an honorary scruff, and not part of the founding members, it's still great to be associated with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lizzie. thanks for this. Derek was such a great guy, he knew us so well and yes "anonymous" we did love him. it brought tears to my eyes also, so many memories. we were blessed to have him on our side for sure. i have never seen this blog before i tend to stay clear of these sort of things for many reasons. some of the comments from so called" i was a scruff" brigade make you laugh. if only they knew huh? i also spotted a couple photos i took don't remember giving them out, still have the originals tho'. thanks to sara for the abbey rd wall photo. carole thought we should leave our mark including ben, he was really chuffed! gotta go for now will keep an anonymous eye on this site : ) you know who i am!

      Delete
    2. hello to the Anon Scruffs (I know who you both are) and Lizzie...great article from Derek and thank you Sara for posting it.

      Delete
    3. thought you might! it was a good article, nice to read on a wet weekend in june. and thanks to sara as you so rightly say, also for our wall shot, ... looked good didn't it! we need to get back for another graffitti session soon. anon Scruff

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am so glad that you Scruff gals enjoyed this article. I am so glad that I found it. Derek really had a way with words and I just love what he had to say.

    Welcome to the new anon Scruff! Please know that you are very welcome here. I think of myself as a little sister Scruff because I am trying to preserve your true stories. I have so much adoration of you all. If you want me to remove any photos, just let me know and I will do so. I want to share photos but I also want to respect people's privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara
      Don't worry about the photos just curious as to how one in particular got out! I guess I must have had copies made and forgot. Hey we're not 20 anymore, and the little grey cells that lived through the sixties are feeling the after affects now that we are in our 60's : ) It's good to know someone likes to preserve the real stories. We have had so many stupid things written about us.
      Have a good summer, and if you live where the sun shines, please send some to England. Thanks , Anon Scruff.

      Delete
  4. sorry to disagree maybe you don't list my comment but I think this guy taylor was a moron, I remenber a scene in a day in the life video where he is shoving 2 girls(maybe fans) out at a party.the scene is very clear and there's no way it was a misunderstanding. he is clearly shoving these girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this anonymous scruff takes exception to your moronic remark .. did you know Derek, did you ever meet him, were you even paying attention to the scene? it isn't Derek it's Neil Aspinall, who by the way, was also a great guy when you got to know him. we miss him too. some girls needed shoving, believe it.

      Delete
  5. hello my friend, and welcome! when the first photo of mine surfaced on the internet, years ago, i was shocked: how come? i never scanned it and sent it to anyone? but now, years later, i understand that the fact that we made copies for all our friends - local and foreign - (i still have a little notebook with each person's name and all my photos i copied for them) and sometimes even their friends who we didn't know, means that anyone of those people and their families can copy our photos and put them online and there's nothing we can do about it. whenever i find one, i put it on my facebook page and i usually write on the place that i found it that it was taken by me. i also try to do the same for my friends' photos. yes, i know who you are - and the other two anon scruffs here too! this is a great blog and we have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. anonymous, those girls were part of the group of fans that waited outside. they stormed into the studios and had to be restrained. it happened a couple of times over the years, and it was unfortunate. he was just doing his job protecting the beatles. derek taylor was a wonderful man and i have never, ever, in my 61 years of life heard anyone call him a moron. you shouldn't judge people you've never met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well said lizzie i think we all know the mindset of that poster. the photo thing is no biggie , i just wondered about one shot.
      as i don't recall copying for anyone. i noticed one photo from a few i took of J & Y with the WIO poster . i think i may still have the originals, also some i took at the lyceum gig. will try and set up a search in the attic! hope your weather is good, our english summer should be an ark building fest, rain and more rain should we run and hide our heads? : ) scruff

      Delete
  7. Somewhere on here I have the story written by one of those girls who broke into the studio. I can't find it (been looking for the past 20 minutes and I need to go swimming) right now, but if I recall the girl wasn't upset about how Derek treated her and was thrilled that it was in the film for A Day in the Life. I never met him, but from what I have read and seen, he seems like a very nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of morons (as we were)... the person doing the fan shoving in the A Day In Ihe Life video is NOT Derek.. but Neil Aspinall (and yes, as Lizzie said, nuisance fans had to be dealt with. In February 1967, when that film was made, Derek was still working as a highly-respected PR in Hollywood. I miss him a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizzie, what do you say about Derek's comments about John and the Scruffs? Did you find him "sometimes difficult?" Everything I've ever read from you about John is that he was always a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi cara. i don't remember john being difficult while i was there from early 67 to late october 69, but then you have to realize that by the time the scruffs became a group with a name i was already back in brazil, going steady and getting ready to be married and have a baby, so all i knew was from the many letters from the girls. maybe one of them can talk about this here, especially the one who is a john fan - you know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...I haven't been on for a while but oh my goodness haven't we been busy!!! Hello new Anon Scruff(I also know who you are!!! ) I can only agree again with the comments about Derek and as has already been said you needed to meet and know him to appreciate him, a lovely man. I also take exeption to him being called a moron! It was of course Neil and not Derek in the film, so please if you are going to make comments on here get your facts straight!! Now on the subject of John...he obviously had his moments as they all did! The thing is I can never remember him being especially difficult! If he was having an off day you left him alone, we as Scruffs got to recognise those days and he obviously appreciated that. I miss him and always thought I would see him again.:( The Lyceum!! What a night eh anon Scruff!! :) Good times. Sara, continue doing what you are doing...its great! Anon Scruff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i totally agree with anon-scruff-i-know-who-you-are above! they all had their good days and bad days like everyone else and we would sense that and stand back and just watch or get closer and take a picture or start a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Lizzie and Anon-Scruff (I-Don't-Know-Who-You-Are!) ;-) It's like I thought... I'm sure John had his days, but I'd imagine he was sweet more often than sour with fans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting article; imagine these fans have memories from those years which are theirs only and don't need to be shared

    ReplyDelete