Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mardi Gras '75





Whenever I see photo of Paul and Linda dressed as clowns during the 1975 Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans, I have two thoughts.   1.)  Paul sure looks like a creepy clown.    2.) There was Paul and Linda throwing beads down to the people below and I bet no one recognized that it was Paul McCartney.  

Now I bet it was fun for Paul and Linda to be up there, enjoying the festivities, throwing the  beads out to the folks below.   They had the chance to be a bit "normal" (ever when wearing creepy clown costumes) for a time and do what many other non-famous people were doing in the city that day.   But then I think that there were Wings fans who may have caught beads from a creepy clown couple and to this day had no idea that they had an encounter with Paul!   That is just crazy.   Sure you would think, "oh if I saw Paul, I would recognize him in a second."   But if you weren't expecting to see him and he was in a costume at a place where tons of people were in costumes, maybe you wouldn't have known it was him.



7 comments:

  1. Ha!!! a.) I always thought Paul looked funny, not creepy! Until now! That is pretty creepy! and b.) never thought about the unsuspecting Wings/Beatle fans below!

    Always giving us new angles, fresh insight and food for thought there, Sara! Happy Mardi Gras! Woo-woo!

    (PS: thanks for these pics! I only have see one or two before, they're new to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara - I can't recall where I saw it but I distinctly remember Paul talking about dressing like a clown at the Mardi Gras. He was very pleased with his disguise and assumed no one would recognize him but when he started walking on the street someone almost immediately said "Hey Paul!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there with Paul and his family Mardi Gras Day 1975. I'm trying to contact the photographer (sadly I cannot remember his name) so I can find out if he has any photos of me that day. If anyone knows, please post info. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were on a balcony at Pokorny's Shoe Store across St. Charles Avenue from McCartney and gang. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skelly... the photographer's name is Sidney Smith, New Orleans photographer hired by Paul for the entire stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,Consuelo Solis, Julie Klaren and Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a kid at Mardi Gras that year and near me on a sidewalk were an adult man and woman dressed as clowns but their children weren't in costumes - seemed odd to me. The next week I saw a picture of those clowns in a magazine and realized who it was.

    ReplyDelete